Career Possibilities


At FMC, we provide you with the best resources to pursue your future dream jobs both during and after the program. You will learn transferable skills that can be applied to many careers. Though all students will earn an Associate in Applied Science in Funeral Service, which path you choose with that degree is up to you. Depending on your interests, there are a variety of career paths to choose. 

The Funeral Industry

The funeral industry is dynamic and continuously changing. FMC prepares its graduates for success in this shifting world. As the American population ages, the funeral service industry is experiencing robust growth. Families and friends of the departed are always creating new and innovative approaches to the celebration of life for their loved one.

The U.S.A funeral market averages at a $20.7 billion industry per year with 2.4 million funerals performed per year, and an average cost between $8,000-$10,000.

Approximately, 86% of funeral homes in the United States are privately owned by families, individuals or closely held companies with the remaining 14% owned by publically traded organizations. All of these establishments need funeral service professionals, presenting an excellent career landscape for FMC graduates.

Funeral Service Career Opportunities

An Associate’s Degree in Funeral Science from FMC opens the door to many career options in the funeral industry. Our graduates enjoy a variety of options when choosing a career. Career opportunities in mortuary services may include:

Funeral Director
Oversees all aspects of a funeral home operation. Many funeral directors own their own funeral homes while others work in corporate-owned facilities or conglomerates.

Provides embalming services to funeral homes. Some embalmers work for individual funeral homes, while others offer independent services to funeral home clients.

Armed Services Funeral Services
Branches of the military employ funeral services professionals to serve in the preparation of fallen service members.

Pathology Technician
Prepares specimens for examination by a physician in hospital and morgue labs.

Medical Center Specialist
Prepares remains of those who have donated their bodies to medical science or education.

Funeral Supply Sales
Many funeral supply providers require sales personnel to hold a professional funeral service license. Funeral supplies sold may include chemicals, caskets, limos & hearses, clothes, and instruments.

Helps the bereaved plan the celebration of the life for the departed.

Crematory Technician
Prepares human remains for cremation, cremates the remains and arranges for disposal of the ashes.