One of the first steps all prospective students should take before enrolling in a college or any higher education institute is to verify whether the school is accredited by a verified accrediting agency. The American Board of Funeral Service Education is a national accrediting agency recognized for college and university programs in Funeral Service and Mortuary Science Education
The Funeral Service program and FINE Mortuary College, LLC are both accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE), 992 Mantua Pike, Suite 108, Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097 (816) 233-3747. Web: www.abfse.org. Accreditation is important for an institute to have because it sets certain standards of quality.
What is Accreditation?
Accreditation is a voluntary act of the institution that requires a thorough self-evaluation and an independent, objective assessment of the overall quality of education by peers.
Accreditation emphasizes both a quality guarantee and a commitment to continuous enhancement. To achieve accreditation by the ABFSE, an institution must:
- Fulfill with rigorous standards
- Create and apply a Campus Effectiveness Plan
- Undergo a yearly review of its financial stability, retention and placement rates; and undergo both announced and unannounced site visits.
Why is Accreditation Important?
Accreditation is important because it:
- Aids in determining if an institution meets or surpasses minimum standards of quality.
- Assists students in choosing acceptable institutions to enroll in.
- Helps institutions in determining the acceptability of credits and transfer credits.
- Allows employers to determine the validity of programs of study and in turn whether a graduate is qualified for the prospective job.
- Employers often require evidence that applicants have earned a degree from an accredited school or program.
- Determines eligibility for employee tuition reimbursement programs.
- Enables graduates to sit for certification examinations.
- Involves staff, faculty, students, graduates, and advisory boards in institutional evaluation and planning.
- Creates goals for the institution to improve upon.
- Provides a baseline for determining eligibility for federal student assistance. Students are required to attend an accredited institution to apply for federal grants or loans.
American Board of Funeral Service Education Contact
992 Mantua Pike
Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097
Phone: (816) 233-3747