J. Verne Wood Funeral Home is looking for a full-time funeral apprentice to join our staff. The new hire must currently be attending or have attended mortuary school. He or she is primarily responsible for helping with removals, dressing and casketing, embalming, funeral services, light maintenance, and any other tasks assigned by the managing funeral director.
Our funeral home resides in a 19th century mansion in the heart of Portsmouth, NH and is just an hour’s drive away from Boston and Portland. As the largest and most prominent funeral home in the area, this position is an excellent opportunity to obtain experience in serving families of all religions and ethnicities. We generally try to promote from within and encourage our apprentices to build their own connections to the local community. Extensive training and mentorship will be offered by our senior directors to develop a high level of service and business acumen.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is professional in conduct and caring in nature. A good work ethic and ability to work with a team is a must. Night and weekend hours are required. We provide flexible scheduling options that can work around most school attendance requirements.
The candidate should expect to start as soon as possible. One week of paid training and orientation will be provided. Please submit resumes, cover letters, and questions to email@example.com.
- Currently attending or have attended mortuary school
- 1+ years of experience in the funeral industry preferred
- Valid U.S. driver’s license in good standing with acceptable driving record
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more
- Professional attitude and willingness to work
- Excellent interpersonal and social skills
- Assist funeral directors with funeral, memorial, and graveside services
- Perform pick-ups, removals, and transportation as needed
- Maintain friendly relationships with local area churches, community centers, hospices, and hospitals
- General maintenance and cleaning of funeral home facilities
- Help with embalming, dressing, and casketing
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Competitive salary
- Vacation time
- Relocation assistance