As an Apprentice Funeral Director and Embalmer at Forastiere Family Funeral & Cremation, you will work under the direct supervision of a licensed Embalmer and a Funeral Director with the preparation and presentation of the deceased for our four locations in Agawam, Southwick, Springfield and East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, while gaining on-the-job experience to ensure that the expectations of our client families and their guests are exceeded.
- Important to make a positive compassionate first impression of company on the telephone and in person, with pleasant and professional dress and demeanor.
- Transports deceased person from place of death to funeral home, to/from crematory, on services, etc.
- Works on-call /first-call shift schedule as needed.
- Observe and assist the Funeral Director in consulting with client families or legal representative of the deceased to create services designed to meet their memorialization expectations.
- Observe and assist that client families are presented with all service and merchandise options available.
- Obtains information needed to complete required documents such as obituaries, death certificates, burial permits, and insurance.
- Participate in all service arrangements and details with clergy, other presiding persons, fraternal or military organizations, and others who may participate in conducting the funeral service.
- Utilize systems to record merchandise selections, enter contracts, and complete necessary forms.
- Assist with planning and scheduling of visitations and services.
- Under direction of a licensed Embalmer, participate in preparation of the deceased, dressing, casketing and restorative measurers when necessary.
- Assist with placing caskets in visitation area, arrange flowers and memorial items.
- Work all types of services and take part in directing and ushering families and service attendees to and from the location of the funeral service.
- Assist in the transportation of client family to ensure a timely departure and arrival.
- Assist with arranging and coordinating shipment of remains to and from other cities and locations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Live within 25 minutes to Forastiere Smith Funeral & Cremation on 220 N. Main Street in East Longmeadow MA
- Must be enrolled and plan to obtain a degree with an accredited Mortuary Science program
- Adherence to dress code of business suit and conservative appearance.
- Valid state issued driver license in good standing with an acceptable driving record.
- Attend and perform work in a professional and courteous manner in accordance with the employer’s requirements.
- Demonstrate willingness to participate in growing market share through community involvement.
- Positive attitude and energy.
- Ability to work with a team and independently
- Creativity when dealing with client families
- Comfort level with computers and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) preferred
Interested candidates should email their resumes and cover letters to Loren Forastiere at: Loren@Forastiere.com